Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hungry for Change: a Cleanse to Starting off 2013 Right

It sure has been a while since I've posted, life has gotten in the way and honestly I've gotten lazy. It's amazing how many people out there blog considering the time obligation it involves! Tis a New Year though, time to renew my commitment to self, diet and exercise.

2012 ended on positive note weight-wise, but how I lost the weight wasn’t conventional or even ideal. It started as the result of a gum graft operation…which was more than painful…became infected…and resulted in me eating little other than soy ice cream (the cold felt so good) and small amounts of pureed soup (no chewing required). I had been working on getting my weight down prior to the operation and had successfully lost 2lbs. In the 2 weeks following the operation I lost an additional 4lbs AND I have managed to lose another 2lbs more since…Yay me! For those of you that know how much I struggle with binge eating and difficulty I have losing weight as a result know what a big feat this has been for me. Not only losing the weight, but keeping it off over the holidays and continued weight loss for the last month.

My motivation and self-image are at a 2 year high. I haven’t been this skinny and fit since before I broke up with my fiancé. My face looks leaner and my whole body is more defined, but I know there’s still room for improvement as my stomach isn’t flat. My stomach is my worst enemy and in my opinion the grossest part of the human body if it isn’t flat and well defined. My ultimate goal is to feel comfortable wearing a bikini again and have the confidence to go to the gym wearing a fun sports bra without being embarrassed by my stomach fat or worried that seeing my gut is grossing people out (this is how I feel when people without flat stomachs decide to bear it all when they really should be covering that thing up!).

I decided to start off the year (although a bit into January) last week with a Cleanse. I heard about it from a friend on Facebook who was in the middle of his Detox and was very pleased with the results, how his body was feeling, his weight-loss and how easy the Clease was. The Hungry for Change Detox Plan http://www.hungryforchange.tv/ is supposed to be for 3 days, but when I started I had originally planned on continuing for 6. Unfortunately, a horrible head cold/sinusitis prevented me from doing the last 3 days, but I can attest to sticking with the originally designed 3 day Detox 100%. The plan is really easy as there’s enough food that I really wasn’t hungry. This is while continuing my regular 2 hour daily workouts with weights and cardio. I also liked the Cleanse because the food list is full of real food and good recipes.

3 Day Detox Plan (Friday - Sunday)


Sourced from The Hungry For Change Book

Day 1, 2 & 3 (Friday, January 4 through Sunday, January 6)
  • UPON RISING - Ginger Lemon Detox Drink
  • BREAKFAST - Super Detox Green Juice (or optional Super Simple Green Drink)
  • MID MORNING SNACK - Cucumber, Celery & Carrot Sticks
  • LUNCH - Sushi Salad (or optional green salad)
  • AFTERNOON SNACK - Activated almonds
  • DINNER - Potassium Balance Soup
  • DESSERT - Chia Pudding
  • AFTER DINNER - Calming Chamomile Tea

    UPON RISING


    Ginger Lemon Detox Drink


    Serves 1
    Ginger is a powerful detoxifier that helps to kick-start your metabolism. Along with hydrating your body, this drink will help to stimulate bowel movements. 
    Drink one large glass, but if you feel like more, go for it— hydration is important.


    • 1 12-ounce spring or filtered water, at room temperature 
    • Juice of 1/2 lemon

    • 1/2-inch knob of ginger root
    Add the lemon juice to the glass of water. Finely grate the ginger on a chopping board, then squeeze the ginger pieces in your hand, letting the juice of the ginger drip through your fingers and into the glass of water. Enjoy at room temperature upon rising for an amazing start to the day!

    BREAKFAST


    Super Detox Green Juice (Option 1)


    Serves 1
    This morning juice includes a potent blend of easily digestible alkaline minerals, such as potassium. Alkalizing your blood is important during the cleansing process because it keeps bad bacteria, yeast, and fungi in check, which helps keep cravings at bay. 
    Drink one large glass, but feel free to have a second. If you don’t have a juicer, try blending it up with some water.



    • 2 to 3 celery stalks, leaves removed 
    • 1 small cucumber

    • 2 kale leaves

    • Handful of fresh parsley
    • 1 small lemon or lime, peeled (I only used 1/2 and only the juice because the whole lemon made it WAY too sour)
    • 1 pear or apple
    Juice all of the ingredients and sip slowly. For an extra health kick, stir in barley grass, wheatgrass, and/or spirulina powder.

    Super Simple Green Drink (Option 2)


    Serves 1
    This option is for those without a juicer or who have limited time! It is a highly alkalizing green drink, which helps to detoxify the blood. It may taste a little strange at first, but the more you drink it, the more you’ll get used to the flavor.
    • 1 12-ounce glass spring or filtered water

    • 1 tablespoon barley grass or wheatgrass powder 
    • 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
    Stir all of the ingredients together, then serve.

    MID-MORNING SNACK


    Cucumber, Celery And Carrot Sticks (Makes enough for 3 days)


    This is your morning snack and keeps you on track with your cleanse. It’s easy to prepare and carry with you when you’re on the run. (I usually didn't have time for this snack in the morning, but worked perfectly as a larger snack in the afternoon eatten with my almonds. Also, since I HATE cucumber, I was able to use the almonds to chase the cucumber down!!)
    • 3 celery stalks, leaves removed;
    • 3 small cucumbers

    • 3 small carrots
    Wash all of the vegetables and cut them into small strips. Store in the fridge to keep them fresh and crisp.
    Optionally, have another Super Detox Green Juice  or Super Simple Green Drink.

    LUNCH


    Sushi Salad


    Serves 1 or 2
    This salad includes a powerful mix of sprouts and sea vegetables. Sea vegetables, including nori, are one of the most nutrient-dense plant foods on the planet. They are particularly high in calcium and iodine, which helps to draw toxins from the body. 
    If you’re at work or on the run, and have no time to prepare this salad, choose a big green vegetarian salad for lunch with an “all natural” dressing. Make sure to read the ingredients; if it looks suspect, ask for fresh lemon and extra-virgin olive oil on the side.


    For the Dressing
    • 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger root 
    • 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce (I used Bragg Seasoning, same salty taste, but 1/2 the sodium)
    • Juice of 1 lemon (I used 1/2, too sour with a whole)
    For the Salad
    • 1 ripe avocado, chopped

    • 2 small cucumbers, halved and chopped

    • 1 carrot, grated

    • Handful of sprouts (preferably alfalfa, watercress, or sunflower sprouts) 
    • Handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped

    • 1 nori sheet, cut roughly with scissors into bite-size strips
    • 
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
    To prepare the dressing, take the ginger gratings and squeeze them between your fingers, making your hand a fist, into a small jar. Discard the pulp. Add the tamari (or soy sauce) and the lemon juice to the ginger juice. Close the lid and shake.
    To prepare the salad, mix the avocado, cucumbers, carrot, sprouts, cilantro, and strips of nori together in a bowl and toss with the salad dressing. Sprinkle seeds over the top to garnish.

    AFTERNOON SNACK


    Activated Almonds (Makes enough for 3 days)

    A handful of soaked (or activated) nuts will be your afternoon snack throughout this cleanse. Plan ahead by soaking a large bowl of raw almonds overnight, straining the water away in the morning, and storing them covered in the fridge. Why soak nuts? Find out here: www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/the-benefits-of-soaking-nuts-and-seeds
    • 3 handfuls raw almonds (you can use almonds or a mixture of macadamia nuts, pecans, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds if desired)
    • Filtered or spring water, at room temperature 
    • 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
    In a large bowl, place all of the ingredients with enough water to cover fully. Leave at room temperature for at least 4 hours, or overnight. Strain in a sieve. Store the nuts in a covered container in the fridge.

    DINNER


    Potassium Balance Soup (Makes enough for 3 days)

    Makes 3 Serves (1 serving per night during the detox)
    Based on a recipe from physician Henry Bieler (Bieler’s Broth), this vegetable tonic provides an ideal combination for restoring acid–alkaline and sodium–potassium balance to the body’s organs and glands.
    • 4 cups spring or filtered water

    • 4 medium zucchini, finely chopped

    • 3 celery stalks, leaves removed, then finely chopped

    • 1 cup roughly chopped green string beans

    • 1 large bunch fresh parsley, stems and leaves roughly chopped

    • 3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped

    • 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    • 2 teaspoons unrefined sea salt or 1 tablespoon organic miso paste (I used the miso, but needed 2 tbsp and used no-sodium vegetable broth instead of water because otherwise the soup is taste-less) 
    • 2 teaspoons dried thyme, rosemary, oregano, or other French Provence herbs for added flavor
    Put all of the ingredients in a large stock or sauté pot. Bring to a gentle boil, then lower the heat, cover, and let simmer gently for 30 minutes. Serve warm.
    If you wish to create a thicker soup, you can purée the soup in batches in a blender or blend it with an immersion, or “stick,” blender until smooth and creamy; however, this soup is also delicious as is. Store covered in the fridge for use within one week, or freeze for extended storage.

    DESSERT


    Chia Seed Pudding (Makes enough for 3 days)

    Makes 3 Serves (1 serving per night during the detox)
    This after-dinner snack includes chia seeds, a gelatinous plant food that helps to draw out toxins from the liver and pass them into the colon for excretion. Chia seeds are also high in omega-3 and make you feel full and satiated!



    • 1 1⁄4 cups Homemade Nut Milk or Homemade Coconut Milk , or if you don’t have time, use store-bought almond or hemp milk (homemade nut milk recipes here: www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/delicious-nut-milk-recipe)
    • 1 tablespoon raw honey or maple syrup (I used stevia instead)
    • 4 tablespoons chia seeds

    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    In a large jar, combine all of the ingredients and shake well. Pour the mixture into 3 small bowls or glasses and refrigerate until it thickens into a pudding-like consistency, about 30 minutes. This is a delicious treat and keeps for up to a week, covered in the fridge.

    AFTER DINNER


    Calming Chamomile Tea


    Serves 1
    Chamomile tea will help to calm your body and prepare you for a restful night’s sleep. Deep restful sleep during this cleanse is important because of how it will help you digest unwanted stress hormones, which can cause you to gain weight.
    • 1 cup spring or filtered water

    • 1 chamomile tea bag or 1 tablespoon dried chamomile flowers
    Bring the water to a boil and pour into a teacup or mug. Add the tea bag or, if using loose flowers, use a teapot and a strainer. Steep for 3 to 5 minutes, then enjoy.
    Optionally, try other herbal detox teas, such as nettle, dandelion root, or licorice root.

    I have to admit the breakfast smoothie was NOT my favorite!! It also really didn't keep me full for long. I started taking out 3/4 of the apple and eating that whole and then adding some stevia to the blender to sweeten up the drink a bit. It may have been better if I had a Vita-Mix to really blend that thing together, but cucumber and parsley in a smoothie??...ya that just isn't right!!!

    Lunch on the other hand was actually delicious! It was gingery-salty avocado buttery goodness!! I actually looked forward to this meal and for someone who absolutely HATES cucumber, this is saying A LOT!! It was a huge portion too, which helped keep me full until I had my afternoon snack.

    The soup for dinner also made a massive vat. At first I thought it made 4 portions, but after going to the gym for 2 hours and really not getting much protein all day, my body really needed that FULL bowl of soup! Most days I added an extra apple and almonds to this meal or my tea because I was too starving to go to bed. I figured I was keeping with the meal plan foods so these were good choices for those extra hunger pains.

    I made it through 4 days easily and unfortunately due to a horrible head cold and lung infection I had to stop there because the food was making me very nauseated. After that short amount of time though my stomach felt so much better, the pain, bloating and gas were gone. I would recommend adding a cleanse or gentle laxative supplement during the course of your cleanse as I found the meal plan to be constipating, no matter how much water I drank.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment